Mid Murray Lutheran Parish Church Times:

Please see here for a full worship service list


Latest news:

SALA Festival at Sedan
Opening: 6.30PM Friday 1st August 2014.

An exhibition of re-imagining space and place, framed by the Eastern Mt Lofty Ranges; fired by the creative energies of four local artists.


Sedan/Cambrai Football and Netball Results
For up to date information and results click here


Send Us Your News
We are interested in publishing worthy news stories about our local community.
Send us your news


Sedan Website Mailing List
Join the mailing list to keep up to date with the latest community news and events.

Sedan History

Sedan is a small town of about one hundred people situated 110km north east of Adelaide in the Murray Flats. It sits at the half way mark between the Barossa Valley and Swan Reach on the River Murray.

Prior to the 1860s the area was made up of various pastoral leases and several important stock routes crossed through. There was only a transient aboriginal population due to lack of permanent water, with hills and river tribes known to hunt in the area. The government resumed the leases in 1860 And proclaimed the Hundred of Bagot, helping alleviate the shortage of farming land in SA. The first sections were taken up by several families from Langmeil in the Barossa and they cleared the land and commenced farming. By 1870 there were numerous dwellings in the area. One farmer, J W Pfeiffer saw the potential where the stock routes met and had a section of his property sub divided for a town. He called it Sedan after a town in France in honor of the great Prussian (German) victory in the Franco-Prussian war of 1870. The battle of Sedan signaled the defeat of the French army and led to the fall of the French government. Mr Pfeiffer then helped numerous businesses get started over the next few years. One minor detail Mr Pfeiffer failed to consider was he situated the town in a natural depression, leading to periodical flooding of the town centre after heavy downpours, the most recent being in December 2010 and December 1992.

After the proclamation of the town, the area grew and by 1872 a Lutheran Church was formed, it still being active in the community today. By 1900 there was some decline due to several dry years but the town still boasted a Lutheran Church and school, several general stores, a blacksmith, a flour mill, a hotel, a farm machinery factory, a post office, a wheelwright, a bank and a saddler.

The town experienced a mini revival with the arrival of the Railway line in 1919, Sedan being the terminus of the line. Other business in the town after this included a Town Hall, a bakery, a pool salon and betting shop, two more churches, a public school (the Lutheran School was forced to close in 1917 due to anti-German sentiment during WW1. This caused some problems as the Public school was only small and held in the public hall. A school was hastily built for opening in 1918) a telephone exchange, a butcher, a barber, a garage, a stock agent, a boarding house and a tea rooms.

Water had always been a problem in the town. In early years the locals had to go to Towitta springs at the base of Sedan Hill to get water in dry times. A hand operated wheel pumped water from the springs at a rate of one gallon per turn. During dry times a long queue would form of horses and carts waiting to get water. In the 1920s a local councilor arranged for a bore to be sunk near the hotel, thus alleviating the long drive to Towitta for water. The water was of poor quality

Photos can be found in the gallery under the Historic Sedan section.