Mid Murray Lutheran Parish Church Times:

Please see here for a full worship service list


Latest news:

SALA Festival at Sedan
Opening: 6.30PM Friday 1st August 2014.

An exhibition of re-imagining space and place, framed by the Eastern Mt Lofty Ranges; fired by the creative energies of four local artists.


Sedan/Cambrai Football and Netball Results
For up to date information and results click here


Send Us Your News
We are interested in publishing worthy news stories about our local community.
Send us your news


Sedan Website Mailing List
Join the mailing list to keep up to date with the latest community news and events.

Heritage Trail through Sedan

Printable Version

1. J.W. Pfeiffer House c1870
In 1869 Johann Wilhelm Pfeiffer came to this region in search of new land. He founded the township of Sedan and sponsored many new settlers, providing dwellings and workshops for the trades people needed in the new town By 1883 at least twelve businesses were trading and a school was established. Wilhelm lived in this pug and pine cottage with his wife Johanne Louise. They came with seven children and had twins three years later. Note the limestone cornerstones carved out of the bedrock, which lies just below the surface of half the town.

Sedan image 1 of 10

2. Coach Lane
The lane was formed for the convenience of the mail coaches picking up mail from the school master's house. In 1891 the Post Office was located in the Lutheran School, now the Church Hall.

Sedan image 2 of 10

3. Lutheran Church Hall c1876
The Sedan Lutheran Day School was conducted here from 1876 - 1917. All classes were conducted in German. The nearest Public school was at Towitta.

Sedan image 3 of 10

4. Pilgrims of Zion Lutheran Church
The Church was dedicated on the 23rd November 1873 with sixteen foundation members. The first Pastor was J Auricht 1870-1907. Later a much larger church was built to replace the first, with the addition of a front porch, tower and bell. On completion, dedication took place in 1923. The vestry attached at the rear of the building remains as part of the original. The distinctive spire is visible for many kilometres and the bell is rung regularly. The first church services in the town were held in Pfeiffer House.

Sedan image 4 of 10

5. The Original School Masters' House c1873
Mr. Zschorn ran the Post Office from here. He was the second Post Master appointed. Now a private residence.

Sedan image 5 of 10

6. Congregational Manse c1897
The Reverend Duncan McNaughton served both the Pine Hut and Towitta Churches. Now a private residence.

Sedan image 6 of 10

7. The Bank of Adelaide Building c1912
The building later became the ANZ Bank and closed in 1993. Now a private residence.

Sedan image 7 of 10

8. The House of H.A. Zadow
'Pappa Zadow' was the Clerk of the District Council of Sedan from 1902 - 1946. His residence also housed the first council office for Sedan. Now a private residence.

Sedan image 8 of 10

9. Sedan Water Storage Tank c1920
Built by Carl E. Rasmus, and instigated by 'Papa Zadow' during the time he was Clerk, the tank was filled with a bore supplying water of poor quality, but it was certainly a bonus for the community, and the stock passing through.

Sedan image 9 of 10

10. The Sedan Hotel 1881
The hotel was originally licensed in 1881 by Mr. R. Fotheringham. He or his descendants held ownership until 1950 when the South Australian Brewing Company purchased it for 11,000. In the 1980s it reverted to private ownership.

Sedan image 10 of 10

11. The Town Obelisk
The central sign post was built in 1946 after the war. Built by Carl and Jack Rasmus together with the Sedan Progressive Association.

Sedan image 1 of 10

12. The Commercial Bank Premises c1883
The building was leased to the bank by J.W. Pfeiffer in 1884. It was later used by the Sedan Mens Club (1912) for organising local events, and was for many years the Post Office. Now a private residence.

Sedan image 2 of 10

13. Pursche's Cottage
Johann Wilhelm Pursche and his wife Maria Ottilie Agnes (nee Zilm) lived here. They were blessed with nine children.

Sedan image 3 of 10

14. Sedan Steam Flour Mill c1881
Built by J.W. Pfeiffer with the assistance of mason Latz. The clay for the bricks came out of what is now the nearby dam. Operation commenced 6th January 1882. Pfeiffer owned and occupied the mill for a number of years until the spring water became insufficient. Buckerfield increased the size of the well and installed a gas engine fuelled by charcoal. This ran until 1928 when a Benz Diesel/Oil Engine was installed. It had many owners and modifications. In 1958, the mill was powered by electricity. It produced good quality flour for 80 years, closing in 1966. Now a private residence.

Sedan image 4 of 10

15. Police Station and Cells c1912
District Constables were appointed from respectable ratepayers by the District Council and given responsibility as laid down by the Crown Solicitor in 1865. In 1912 responsibility for law and order was placed in the hands of the South Australian Police Force. The Police Station was manned by Mounted Constables until 1948 when First Class or Senior Constables upheld the law. The station was closed on the 8th July 1971. Cells are at the rear of the property. Now a private residence.

Sedan image 5 of 10

16. Agriculture Implement and Machine Factory c1882
A most useful workshop to make and repair wagon wheels, wagons and farm machinery. It later became Tamke's Blacksmiths Shop. The cottage nearer the road became the home of blacksmith, Mr. F. Zilm and his family. Now a private residence.

Sedan image 6 of 10

17. Sedan Primary School c1918
Supported by parents and community the school is well equipped. The first wheelbarrow purchased by the Mother's Club is mounted in the front yard. Mr. Lesley was the first teacher. Due to the lack of enrolment the school was closed in 2008.

Sedan image 7 of 10

18. Sedan Hall c1912
The Hall was opened in 1912 on land donated by Mr. Martin Lehmann. A plaque on the Hall wall commemorates those involved. It was the location of the first Public School which ran from 1912 - 1917, when a new purpose-built Primary School was built in John Street. It housed the first library and the RSL Club for many years.

Sedan image 8 of 10

19. Woolford Memorial Methodist Church c1919 - 1953
In later years it was used as the R.S.L. Club and then a local Museum. It is currently used by the Sedan Country Fire Service.

Sedan image 9 of 10

20. The Storey Dwelling & Warehouse c1894
Originally built for Mr. Schwanefeldt by mason Nicolai. It was intended as a guest house for the railway passengers. The first train arrived in 1919 the station was located further out of the town than anticipated. It has had many uses - Zerner's Butcher Shop being a more recent one. Now a private residence.

Sedan image 10 of 10

21. Petney's Garage c1920
Jim R. Petney opened the first motor garage and sold T Model Fords. He was succeeded by his brother Art. From 1956 to 1981 it was Ray Stiller Motors selling GMH Holdens and Fergusson tractors.It is now Sedan post office and Secondhand and Collectables store with fuel and shop.

Sedan image 1 of 10

22. Marshall's Tea Rooms, Corner Store & Residence
After a number of years Gottleib Lehmann sold part of Section 41 to Phillip Marshall,who ran a boot and harness repair business. It has been used for several enterprises over the time, including Doctor's rooms. Now a private residence with corner room Red Cross Shop.

Sedan image 2 of 10

23. Oasis Garage c1927
H. A. Zadow engaged c Emil Rasmus to build the garage to provide better premises for Tony Ohlmeyer's mechanical business, which started behind Marshall's Tea Rooms. The late Les Tamke ran this garage after World War Two for fifty years.

Sedan image 3 of 10

24. Sedan Lutheran Cemetery
Holds the graves of many of our early settlers. Many of the early head stones are written in German. The oldest recorded grave is of Hanna Marschall in 1874.

Sedan image 4 of 10

25. Sedan Recreation Park & Sports Club Inc c1916
Formed on land donated by the late Hermann Seidel, the Park is run by a committee, to provide facilities for various activities. The local Football and Netball Club play here. The Park has been used for many community events, and bicycle racing on the track, which is evident as the raised area around the inside of the oval. The Rotunda 1935 stands as a memorial to the Brass Band days. Sedan's Town Band was a competitive group and won the 1937 Street March at the Nuriootpa Show. Before the rotunda was built, practice was held in Adolph Seidel's home, last house on the Blanchetown Road, eastern side.

Sedan image 5 of 10

26. The site of the Sedan Railway Station c1919
The first train arrived in Sedan at 12.34 pm on October 13th 1919 and departed the next day at 1.50 pm. Many trains loaded with wood, lime, wool and wheat went to Adelaide and returned with super phosphate and heavy goods. The line closed in 1964 but reopened in December 1966 for twelve months, to bring pipes and water for the laying of the Swan Reach to Stockwell Pipeline. The Railway Dam which fills after good rains, provided water for the steam trains.

Sedan image 6 of 10

27. The Lime Kiln
The kiln was operated by Mr. Hunnerup for many years from the early 1920's producing both agricultural and builder's lime. It was taken over by the late Mr. Hugh Glastonbury who employed five or six men until it closed in 1971.


Top of page
Sedan image 7 of 10